The dangers of 6 beauty products we use every day

lipsticks, perfumes and nail polishes

Many ingredients are hidden in beauty products, many of which are harmful to both the body and the environment. Many ingredients are already banned for use in cosmetics, but some may still appear in our products.


Perfumes are simply chemicals, they point out on the portal Listverse. They are a combination of synthetic and natural substances that give a characteristic smell. It is also among the synthetic ingredients of many perfumes aldehyde lily (Eng. Lilialalso referred to as butylphenyl methylpropional).

This aromatic aldehyde is among the 23 chemicals whose use in cosmetic products is in October banned by the European Commission. With this, the commission updated the list of substances that are carcinogenic, mutagenic or dangerous for reproduction because of their long-term and harmful effects on health. The ban takes effect on Tuesday, March 1.

BB and CC creams

Despite the many praises of BB and CC creams, check their ingredients before choosing yours. Avoid those that contain the substance acrylamide. We are mostly exposed to this substance through various foods and cigarette smoke, but it can also appear in cosmetics and plastics. According to the data of the US National Cancer Institute studies in rodents have shown that exposure to acrylamide increases the risk of the formation of several types of cancer.

CC creams also contain oxybenzone, which helps prevent potential damage from exposure to sunlight. However, it has also been linked to allergies and effects on hormones, which is why many countries regulate its use. In the European Union, they determined that it does not pose a major threat apart from the fact that it is an allergen, so it may be used in cosmetics, but in small quantities.

BB creams may also contain methylisothiazolinone, which has allergenic properties. Irritating to skin and eyes, can trigger contact dermatitis. Already in 2014, the European Union banned the use of this substance in products that are in contact with the skin for a long time, e.g. creams.powder, box and color palette on the table

Nail polish

Nail polish contains many harmful ingredients and therefore several institutions advise against frequent use. Studies have shown that chemicals in nail polish can absorbed into the bodybut it is not entirely clear whether in a large enough quantity to have serious health consequences.

Some of the most toxic chemicals in nail polish:

  • dibutyl phthalate (we associate it with hormonal changes, breast cancer, damage to the male reproductive system),
  • toluene (damages the brain and nervous system),
  • formaldehyde (toxic, allergenic, carcinogenic and mutagenic),
  • camphor (Eng. camphor) (removes nutrients from the nails).

The chemicals are already noticed by the smell as soon as you open the bottle. Often inhaling varnish chemicals and acetones is not healthy, but it is for more serious consequences of inhalation formaldehyde otherwise, a high concentration of this substance in the air is required. In case of high exposure, it irritates the eyes and mucous membranes, causes lacrimation, headache, inflammation of the throat, breathing problems, allergies, even cancer of the nose and throat.

Some varnishes can also cause discoloration nails and them weaken.


When you use mascara, it gets contaminated. When you close the mascara, you create a perfect dark and moist environment for bacteria to multiply, which have accumulated on the stick. Preservatives do slow down the growth of bacilli, but eventually they multiply.

The longer you use the same mascara, the greater the risk of skin reactions and eye inflammation, so it is highly recommended to change it regularly. We have already written about the dangers of using various make-up after the expiration date.close-up eye and smeared eyelashes


It can contaminate both lipsticks and some other products (eye shadows, blush, shampoo). lead. Lead harms the nervous and vascular system, the heart, development, and is also carcinogenic.

Portal Medical News Today lists it as one of the dangerous substances to avoid in make-up.


Glitter in various forms and in various products is dangerous for health and the environment. Glitter is practical small pieces of plastic and aluminum, which are not recycled. Thanks to products like this, microplastics are accumulating in the world waters. There is already a huge amount of microplastic in rivers and seas, which decomposes very slowly.

It threatens there animals, who eat it, and then people who eat aquatic animals. Research has shown that when the plastic from the glitter breaks down, it is released chemicals, which affect the hormones of animals and humans. These chemicals have also been linked to cancer and neurological diseasesthe portal writes TypeHero.glitter on the palm

Sabina Zorman